PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Parachutes. (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 21:41
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a difference between forthright and your post.

If you thought I was insulting you, you would be wrong.

It is just that your argument does not stack up.

As I said, you havent eliminated risk at all, you have simply trotted out a few of the usual precautions any mature pilot should take.

You have also chosen to ignore my comments about each flight being an excercise in risk assessment followed by an excercise in risk management. I dont as much mind if you disagree with my view, but I do mind that you have not tackled the debate in a constructive way, simply dismissing my assertion that you must elimanate risk without demonstrably explaining how you achieve that.

What worries me is you seem closed to any other position than your own, but arent prepared to justify the view you hold.

I still believe it is almost impossible to eliminate risk in flying a light single if only because as you point out if you fly for long enough the engine will eventually fail on you - it could happen much earlier than you think. Height, visibility, terrain and regular practise are your friends, but even then do not guarantee success every time. Most pilot's erode their friendship with each to some degree otherwise you would severly restrict your flying - rightly or wrongly that is the simple reality. Hence we should debate what degree of erosion is warranted.

Doubtless we may have the debate on another occasion and perhaps with an open mind make more progress. Sorry it did not prove possible on this occasion.