PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper PA-28
Thread: Piper PA-28
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2002, 18:14
Final 3 Greens

g-conaty

I have about 180 hours on various types of PA28, namely

PA28-140 (Slab wing Cherokees with 140 and 150HP engines)
PA28-151/161 (Warriors with tapered outer wing sections, 150 and 160HP engines)
PA28-180 (180HP Cherokee with slab wing and original Archer with modified wing tips)
PA28-181 (180HP Archer 2 & 3, with tapered outer wings)
PA28R-200 (200HP Arrow, slab wing, modified wing tips)
PA28RT-201 (200HP Arrow 4 normally aspirated, tapered outer wings)

These are my personal views....

The -140 is a very old aeroplane these days, 25 years plus most likely. It is docile, a little underpowered (although a better performer than a C150) and does not handle as well as the taper winged aeroplanes at low speed; landing can be a little firm, although safe. Cruise speed is circa 90-95 kts at 2350rpm at typical training weight.s

The -180 is similar to the -140, although the extra power is helpful; the extra weight of the aeroplane is easily adjusted for after a few flights. Cruise speed is about 100-105 kts at 2400 rpm; some PA28-180s have a "no go" band (from memory, don't hang for if wrong) between 2100-2300rpm.

The -151 (Warrior) is interesting because it has frise ailerons (I am not aware of any other PA28s with these) - it makes the handling a little crisper. A well set up Warrior -151 will cruise at around 105-110kts at 2400rpm and typical training weights. The semi tapered wing also makes low speed hanlding sweeter, but also demands precise airspeed control "over the hedge." Being more efficient than the slab wing, float will occur if the speed is too high.

The -161 (Warrior 2) climbs a little better, but the cruise is speed simliar.

The -181 (Archer 2 & 3) is a proper cruiser which will haul a decent amount of weight; for training it is probably wasting money, since the hourly rates will be higher than for a Warrior.

Finally, the Arrows are not ab initio training platforms.

To summarise, the PA28 is a lovely, safe, stable platform which is ideal (with 180HP) for entry level touring.

It would not be my ideal choice for a trainer, since it is (a) typically more expensive than a smaller engined a/c and therefore your lessons will cost more, (b) it is probably too easy to fly - e.g. trims easily and very non demanding and (c) when learning navigation, the cruise speed is a little higher than ideal (if cruising slowly, the pitch attitude can be a little steep and forward viz reduced, especially if you are not very tall as it has a high coaming.)

Having said that I learned on the -140 and love PA28s, even though I own a share in a Beagle Pup!

Final point; although PA28s are very loathe to stall, the taper wing variants do have a vicious wing drop if stalled at high weight and rear c of g; this takes quite a lot of abuse to achieve, but it is very nasty so is worth bearing in mind.

In the same context, the PA28-140 is cleared for spinning, the Warriors and Archers aren't - can't remember about the PA28-180s as I only have a few hours in those, some years ago.

Hoep this lot may be of some use and enjoy your course.

F3G