PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 17th Dec 2008, 17:39
Mungo Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom
I am afraid you are mistaken.
Mistaken about what?! I did say
I know it is not at all uncommon, and that many get on fine,
Despite many very low hour cadets learning the trade with no problem I still find it incredible that an airline will take on a 234hr pilot.

Reading the report is astonishing, it is such a chain its such a pity for the operator and the chaps involved that it wasn't broken some where.

From the report...
2002 - passed CPL 2nd attempt & IR at 3rd attempt
2003 flew 9 hrs
2004 flew 8 hrs
2005 flew 8 hrs & did MCC
2006 flew 5 hrs then did jet bridge course / type rating / line training
So in the 4 years prior to getting his hands on an Airbus he flew a total of around 30hrs SEP. That's barely enough to stay current on a Cessna 150 let along develop the skills required to operate an airliner.
During type rating he appeared to be following the flight director below 200ft,

His type rating 1st attempt LST was a fail but was not recored as such.
During his base training he had to be 'reminded to look outside in the last stages of landing' (!)
During line training he did 28 landing of which commanders intervened during 9 of them.

Company ops manual said - cadet should do at least 6 sectors with the same instructor at a time - this did not happen.
Company ops manual said night flights should be avoided during first 6 sectors - only 2 of first 6 sectors were in day
Company ops manual said cadet's first 3 landings should be in daylight but his 2nd and 3rd were at night
Company ops manual said cadet's first 10 sectors should be flwon on same type, either A320 or A321 but cadet flew first 4 sectors on one model then changed.

Sounds like the operator let this guy down.