PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 17th Dec 2008, 17:07
Dog E. Stile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seconded, fantom.

Bottom line isn't about cadets, or 250hrs TT and on an Airbus, or even the wannabes so desperate to fly they are willing to part with £26K(!) to do line training...it's about objective standards of selection being compromised by a financial incentive.

I don't mean to say that the TRIs/TREs are 'in on it' - in my experience it's quite the opposite in fact. But you used to have to prove you were good enough to fly for an airline - if you could not demonstrate that you were....goodbye. Now some airlines are involved in schemes where they openly advertise their flight deck positions for sale, with what seems like a bare minimum of safety standards applied. It should be that these seats are only available to the best candidates in the job market - and you can't tell me that there aren't lots of experienced, qualified guys about at the moment!

It used to be that 'just good enough', wasn't. Now it seems like 'almost good enough' is fine, that'll be £26K thankyouverymuch. Nothing more than prostitution of an airlines reputation.

Last edited by Dog E. Stile; 17th Dec 2008 at 18:14.