PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh Airport to be sold..
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 15:02
Squawk7143

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAA have planned £250 Million expansion plans and project a desire for 26 million passengers by 2030 at Edinburgh. Presumably this level of business potential will attract interested parties.

Difficult to see where GA would fit in even with a new operator when the real desire is to pack in passengers and sell them value added services based on retailers etc.

I wonder if the future of GA in this country needs "Business/ GA" airports acting alongside larger passenger airports? Smaller facilities where there is no remit to grow large passenger numbers, but from which all business aviation and GA would operate. By business I mean air taxi type traffic be it piston, turbine or jet. I do not pretend to know how the economics of such airports might work beyond the obvious landing/parking fees. It would no doubt mean a significant change in policy at government level.

One is left wondering if without such a ( properly planned and coordinated) approach GA may end up operating out of nothing but grass strips in the UK.

I am sure there are loads of folks out there who know a lot more about this than me so forgive me if I have not demonstrated the level of understanding of the problem that some folks may feel is necessary.

Squawk

Last edited by Squawk7143; 17th Dec 2008 at 15:12.