PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JPI EDM 700C with fuel flow
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 13:23
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several very similar engine monitors, of which the JPI is the best known and most widely pushed by the trade. There is EI and at least 2 others which I don't immediately recall.

IMHO one of these is really great to have, but (I fly with an EDM700) I would not go for the one with integrated fuel flow. I would go for a separate fuel flow instrument e.g. the Shadin. The sensor is still the same - a Floscan 201 transducer. I say this because the user interface on the JPI is a bit like a 1970s VCR and is not really usable, but for engine temp monitoring it doesn't need to be touched. However, for an aerobatic type used for short flights, I can't see this matters.

The EDM also has crappy software. If the internal data queue fills up, the data gets corrupted. Their very latest PC software usually manages to recover most of the flights though.

EI claim to have thicker wall probes, which is significant because the JPI probes do burn through - I've got through a couple in 800hrs. But they are quick to fix, and an EGT probe failure is usually obvious because you get a silly reading, without an accompanying CHT abnormality.

Edit: Insight is another one.

Last edited by IO540; 17th Dec 2008 at 14:31.