PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 210 down at Sossussusvlei Mountain Lodge - Namibia ?!?
Old 17th Dec 2008, 12:39
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that do not understand German, if I read that article from a pilot's perspective (if that what is discribed in the article is what really happend and I stand under correction), it is definatly not the 210s fault, more so the inexperience of the pilot - it shocks me personally that something like this took 500 hrs to surface, he was either not taught properly how to land this aircraft, not understanding the aerodynamics or he was in a state of mind and lack of awareness for whatever reason unknown to me - he was simply not in control of his aircraft on landing and also did not manage to take vital actions to regain control immediatly. Laminar flow wings actually make this situation worse.
This happens when you come in slightly fast and fly the aircraft onto the runway, so when the pilot tries to flare, the plane gets airborne again due to excess speed, it then looses speed which causes the nose to drop down (also by the pilot pushing the control-column slightly forward instead of back, in order to get closer to the runway and not to stall), by doing that, the plane accellerates again, the pilot flares and the aircraft gets airborne again decellerates - so it continues like a vicious circle until there is no more speed to flare and the nosewheel goes into the ground. The only way to stop this is to take action by either going around immediatly once the occillation has been identified (which the pilot probably tried according to the pax description - but it was already much too late and that is when the aircraft flipped over - a go around can be hard in a 210 because you are already behind the drag curve speed wise, with full flaps and all you will need FULL power to save the situation and get away from the ground, it will definatly be a slow step by step cleanup after speed is finally slowly gained - if you are overloaded or stalling by forcing back the controls to quickly: no chance). The other solution is flaring slightly more to prevent the nose from dropping to let speed bleed of and taking into account, that in the worst case, you might drop onto the main gear from a few feet higher (and harder) than normal, when stall speed is finally reached (after all this is what you want), but there will be no damage to the aircraft and no injuries, if done correctly - also it will help putting just an inch of power back to stabilize the approach and to avoid dropping hard like the CEO of Scenic Air suggested in the article, unfortunatly his pilot did not take any of these actions before it was too late.

So bottom line: not good - people injured, holiday ruined and last but not least a write-off that could have been avoided as well.

Last edited by Propellerpilot; 17th Dec 2008 at 14:07. Reason: slight corrections