PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 12:39
dangermouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks to all the above comments

this is getting interesting and I am glad it's not turning into another flame war

I am afraid I disagree with the comments regarding Nr control, surely when power on it is all down to engine governing. Assuming the aircraft isn't in autorotation then Nr variation can only be a function of either excess or inadequate fuel supply to the engines as thats what is making the blades go round (isnt it?).

A 'proper' control system should have sufficient response time and authority to prevent changes in the desired parameter (in this case rotor speed) now, accepting the fact that some manoeuvres off load (or load up) the disc the current engine governing sytem would seem (from comments here) to lack either or both authority and response time to do that well, hence the Nr variation mentioned. The increase in AUM means more pitch = more drag with an associated increase in the gain required to control the system, which if it does not have sufficient authority to do appears as more instability in rotor speed control. I would expect taht the FADEC in the T800 can only improve the situation and the current Nr variations experienced will be reduced (at a given weight).

Are there any Lynx drivers who have flown Legacy and T800 engined variants that can comment on any differences?

GND just editing this in light of your post (I was typing as you were).

Regarding the staff at AWH, knowing many of them I honestly believe that they have your best interest at heart regarding the products they produce, they are definitely not cold hearted money grabbers and support (as best they can) the UK forces. Unfortunately to err is human and there are inevitably been some problems (but then again that's true for any product). Of course you are working in a war zone but that deosn't change the fact that some rules now HAVE to be met, they are non negotiable regardless of the operational impact you percieve because of them.

I wrote the 'come crying' statement that's all that seems to happen on these pages, everyone blames the supplier who does only what he is paid/contracted to do (for reasons that should by now be painfully obvious), at least throw the 'blame' wider, to the IPTs, the evaluating authority who provided the MAR and the RTSA who all underwrite the suppliers deliverable product. Remember that all those people get to approve it before you see it.

DM

Last edited by dangermouse; 17th Dec 2008 at 13:01.