PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is my old Rover more reliable than small aeroplanes?
Old 17th Dec 2008, 09:03
vabsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my old Rover more reliable than small aeroplanes?

Right,

So it's me again ... I feel partly guilty for occasionally asking questions that make some of you get involved in heated debates.

This one will hopefully be a bit more straight forward to answer as I am new to all of this after all.

I drive a very old car, an old Rover which has never let me know. The engine has never stopped and it also starts first time, every time, even when it's ice cold outside.

Why is it then that we repeatedly hear of engine failures in small aeroplanes?

I realise that an engine failure in an aeroplane is more "dramatic" than an engine failure in a car for obvious reasons, but I also can't help to come to the conlusion that a car's engine is better equipped to do the job it is suppose to than the engine of a small aeroplane.

The way I'm working this out might be backwards and incorrect, but here is my simple theory anyway:

If the same percentage of cars on the road (than aeroplanes in the air) had engine failures then I would "probably" expect to see cars next to the road almost every time I drive on the freeway.

Why is this .. and is my theory completely wrong?

Your thoughts would be appreicated.

S