PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2008, 08:40
1967kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to back up what AJ7 has said....

The differencies between aerodrome and area are vast....for a start, the college always has much more people on area courses than aerodrome because there is a greater need for area controls just now. As other people have said, whatever discipline you get, you will not be disappointed because you won't know what you are missing on the other discipline.

From what I can gather and I can only speak from personal experience but if you opt for area, be prepared for an awful lot of theory based studying, (ie, learning pretty much the whole of MATS Part 1 word for word, verbatim) it does not stop no matter how far on in the college you are. With regards to aerodrome, their course seems to be more simulator/practical based with no verbatim learning!!! However there is obviously still some theory to be learned.

I suppose one of the benefits of doing area is that you are only really going to be posted at one of two units, either Prestwick or Swanwick, whereas by doing aerodrome, you could pretty much be based anywhere in the country, although NATS do take into consideration your personal preference.

Either way, you are going to be an ATCO at the end of the day, so if you get area or aerodrome, you'll love it....

Cheers

Kev