PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I learnt from that
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2008, 22:01
framer

Received 491 Likes on 132 Posts
1) 2 Walkarounds is a great idea.. had a run in with a pitot cover once before. (brings me to the point, mention "airspeed active (and in the right kind of place)" during takeoff roll)
2) You can never have too many GPS's (Thanks Doc!)
Pyro, when I was learning I had an instructor who covered up my asi and got me to do circuits just using attitude and power settings. It is easy and gives you confidence. Then circuits with no instruments at all, just looking out the window, it makes you realise that all the info you need in a light a/c is out the window and in your ears. Also, shortly after that on first parachuting job bugs got into the pitot tube, airspeed check on the roll (good idea) was normal but once airborne the asi slowly crept back to zero, was no problem though even on a short strip.
As for the GPS, put it in the top draw for six months, forget about it until you can navigate properly. If you rely on it heavily it will lead you astray one day. I've twice picked up faulty tracking on GPS with normal navigation methods and once was at night in an EFIS a/c with very expensive GPS units. If you follow them blindly they can kill you.
Framer