PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain's discretion to extend FDP
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2008, 16:49
nugpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the point then on having FDP's if you know quite well you going to exceed them from the first sector......as the link attached in the previous thread...the one guys says its very vague....i see nothing has changed....
OK, lets take the FDP scheme apart.

FDP is there to ensure that crews are adequately rested to conduct safe operations.

The Company is not allowed to plan a schedule that will exceed their FDP scheme.

Crews are required to remain within their FDP limits with the one exception. The captain is allowed to extend the crew's FDP by up to 2 hrs (3 in emergency) if in his considered opinion the flight can be conducted safely. This can only be done on the day of operations and has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. He also has the discretion to reduce the minimum rest of his crew by up to 1 hr and still allow a full FDP on the following day.

I agree with kennytheking. This is more a Co issue. If the problem is leg 4, you can legally depart and complete leg 3 within FDP. The captain can then exercise his discretion to RTB with leg 4. If the Co expects you to regularly use discretion because their schedule is too tight, I suggest that this be addressed with the Co, and failing that with the CAA.

Just read the section on discretion in the CATS & CARS. There is no mention of not departing home base knowing that the return might require extension. The decision to extend is left to the captain, who should use his DF.

The Co cannot force the captain to extend.