PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2008, 13:25
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy,
the litigation came about following damage to a Chinook during testing in the USA on 20 Jan 89. This legal action, between the MoD and Textron Lycoming went to arbitration and was settled in 1995 when the MoD was awarded $3 million in damages. No cash exchanged hands, but the compensation was recovered by way of amendments to other contracts (can't remember the exact wording).

It was said that the litigation was due to faulty testing procedures, but the MoD have been unable to locate the documents relating to this failed test procedure

In response to a Parliamentary question by Mr Frank Field, the then Armed Forces Minister, John Spellar replied, "At the time of the RAF Board of Inquiry into the Mull of Kintyre accident, Sir William Wratten was not aware of this litigation and did not recall the Wilmington incident that led to this legal action being taken. Sir John Day was aware that there had been a problem with FADEC testing, but did not know of the extent of the Department's legal claim."

No one thought it prudent to bring the matter to the attention of the President of the BoI either!

Mr Purdey,
contrary to what the Secretary of State for Defence would have you believe, I do not have all the documents. However, as he has said that they are available, I look forward to their arrival in the near future.

I don't know for certain whether the aircraft was fit for purpose, but as it had just 57.15 flying hours on the clock since the upgrade and it had the following problems, I would hazard a guess that it (ZD576) was not fit.

8 Apr 94 - Returned from Boeing. Has a FADEC related problem.

21 Apr 94 - Torque mismatch of 40% during transit to hover.

22 Apr 94 - No 1 engine is replaced.

26 Apr 94 - No torque indication to either engine with the engine control levers at the flight idle position. No 1 engine is replaced again.

3 May 94 - GPS failure on the RNS252. Transmitter is replaced.

5 May 94 - GPS fails again. This time the whole thing is replaced.

9 May 94 - No GPS feed to the RNS 252. The transmitter is, again, replaced.

10 May 94 - Thrust balance spring pallet detaches from the collective lever due to a bonding failure. Thrust & yaw assembly was replaced.

17 May 94 - During descent to low level the No 1 engine emergency power caption light illumunates three times. Engine temperature went beyond normal levels. No 1 engine was removed and rebuilt. Part of the FADEC system was returned to the manufacturer for examination.

26 May 94 - Numerous warning lights illuminate, including a 'master' warning light and a No 2 engine failure notification. Aircraft diverted.

31 May 94 - Aircraft delivered to Aldergrove. IR jammer has a problem and is replaced.

1 Jun 94 - During the first flight, there is a problem with the PTIT guage. It is also noted that there is interference on the UHF/AM radio, caused by the SuperTans equipment. Neither problem could be recreated on the ground.

Not to mention, of course that the AAIB investigators could not positively determine pre-impact serviceability.

My best, as always,
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook