PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I learnt from that
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2008, 13:20
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kingrb,

Smoke in the Northern parts of Australian dry season are part of life. Sometimes the scenics in the kimberley are operating well below VMC at some stages during the flight, but such is life when the whole country is ablaze all the damn dry and the inversion causes the smoke remnants to stick around. Sometimes over Bathurst Island i am highly surprised there has not been a midair considering the traffic in and out of there and the smoke that covers the island all too often.

Pyrotek,

If you are already relying on GPS on an SPL there is not much hope for you i am afraid. Battery's do run dry and cigar lighters in 30 year old aeroplanes are not the most reliable source of 12v on the planet. Do yourself a favour and learn correct VFR nav procedure, if the instructor insists on GPS use, block the pilot side from view so you can apply correct VFR nav techniques without getting your instructor lost

A lot of respect goes from me to the guys who did it before GPS, i'll take a bow and considering some of the weather i have flown in, i truly tip my hat to the guys that did it before GPS!