PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 210 down at Sossussusvlei Mountain Lodge - Namibia ?!?
Old 16th Dec 2008, 12:37
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I agree with the above - however generally one should gradually move away from AVGAS dependancy alltogether. The 210 is not all peaches and cream - I think they could come up with something much better and modern. When we look at reality, a lot of times C210 are flown overloaded and this has caused accidents with fatalities. We need a six seater which can also take tourist luggage legally and have no problems with high density altitude. The 210 IS limited in this sense if you fly by the book and within the law.

What concerns the wing of the 210, it is one of the strongest ever built in such an aircraft. They discontinued building because a lot of pilots in the USA forgot to put the gear down or landed on the roof because they could not handle the laminar flow high speed wing - and ended up sueing Cessna for millions of $$$ in court. That is the story that I heard.

On the one hand I am sad to leave the 210 behind - had a lot of great times with this aircraft - on the other I am happy that I am no longer confronted with the daily risks of piston operation commercially. A twin turbine definatly feels a lot safer