PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 210 down at Sossussusvlei Mountain Lodge - Namibia ?!?
Old 16th Dec 2008, 10:46
nibbio86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propellerpilot, what you say sounds correct. But also here in northern Australia the 210 is the most extensively used single engine piston for charter operations, more than the 206 and the Airvan. I don't understand why Cessna chose not to keep open a little line for the production of the 210, I think there could be a niche replacemant market around the world and what the Centurion gives can't be matched by any other single currently in production. I've read that Cessna could have kept it in production if they made a modification to the wing, because it has one spar instead of the two required from FAR23 (don't quote me on that, not sure 100%). It wouldn't have been a big problem for them if they wanted to. Both the PAC and the Caravan cannot be compared with a 210 or 206, they're something completely different. The thing that I would be keen to see (and fly) is a turboprop version of the Airvan, let's say something in the 350-400hp range. Now as it is, with a Lycomin IO-540 looks very underpowered, expecially at MTOW in a hot humid day in the wet season.