PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 19:54
golftangofox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yarpy
Depressing stuff but the sooner we kick this grim Government in the gutter where they belong the better.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. — Thomas Jefferson

Surely the Labour Goverment must realise that they will not be in power indefinitely? This is why I can't understand their enthusiasm for state control today, because who knows who will have this control tomorrow? In a short ammount of time the apparatus of democracy will not be there for us to change our circumstances or protect any freedom we may have left.

After 9/11 to protect us from 'terrorism' the Gov passed a series of laws that also undermined our basic liberties. Bear in mind that since Labour came to power in 1997 they have created over 3,600 new criminal offences!

42psi
I would add that from my conversations it seems there are more of the "what have you got to fear/if you've not done anything/can't see the problem" around than those who object

To those who keep intoning that tired old cliche "If you have got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear I would say this. I myself have plenty to hide. Trouble is, none of its illegal.

Also tell that to those arrested and detained without trial. Tell that to those innocents imprisoned all over the world - tell it to the millions of victims of totalitarian regimes.

They gave the police powers to enter private homes without warrants in 1933, Germany. They abolished search warrants. The government said 'if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear' from an inspection. The truth is that the innocent actually do have something to fear from state intrusion into their private lives.

Call 100 - Correct, and don't forget that MAN & LCY Airports were also persuaded by the Gov agreeing to fund the trial. The cards supplied free and a nice little earner of £500,000 towards improvements in security checks. It's clear to me that the trial is being manipulated to ease its introduction.