PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 17:24
wg13_dummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure soon we'll see some photos of the mock-up and perhaps 3D CAD drawings coming out. Those will highlight quite radical differences ...

Then maybe you'll see that FLynx is really quite a step forward from Lynx, using new techniques for manufacturing (ahead, I'm told of Airbus and their famous wings), far lower airframe costs, greater strength, completely revised weaponry and loads of avionics (which is where a lot of the space went btw).
Trust me, it aint the 'radical difference' you think it might be. Think of a Mk8 with a monolithic tail boom and a pair old G-LYNX stabs chucked on it.

It would have been a step forward 10 years ago but seeings how it's ISD will be 2014 at the earliest, it is as modern as a Morris Marina...with a CD player and alloy wheels.

Yes, it has lots of lovely new avionics but as you say, these have limited the already limited space.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what its handling characteristics will be like? An aircraft that is a ton heavier than the current Lynx (high disc loading already) but will still have the same FCS, servos and flying controls. Those Lynx drivers amongst you will be more than aware that current Lynx is a 'sports car' until its up towards MAUM then it becomes a bit of a nightmare if not treated with respect. FLynx will be at that weight without much on board straight off. It will not be the super-dooper performance monster some think it will be because of the powerful CTS800's. Something to think about. NR control will be fun.