PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby
Thread: Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 16:20
Businesstraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I commute every week from BHX to EDI and have done for 3 years now. One aspect I've found regretable is that all ground handling services are contracted out, such that it's difficult to speak to staff at the airport and there's often an attitude of 'couldn't care less' that pervades all dealings. I compare this to the attitude and service received when I used to fly this route regularly with BA then BA Connect. However, this is an industry wide issue and even BA doesn't have in-house ground staff outside London now.
With regard to many people's comments on punctuality, whislst some flights have been delayed for no seemingly good reason (or none given anyway), I find that most flights arrive within 15 minutes of the published times. To my mind this is fair enough and I don't have a great problem with it. There's often a general problem at BHX on Monday mornings with congestion in the sul-de-sac at Terminal 1. Unfortunately as the BMIBaby stands are furthest from the runway it suffers more than other airlines using Terminal 1 (Lufthansa, Monarch etc).
With regard to on-board service, with few exceptions I've found BMIBaby staff to be polite, helpful and good humoured. I notice that people's service is often proportionate to the attitude they bring on-board (i.e. snotty passengers won't see the best side of a steward(ess) - am I still allowed to say 'steward(ess)' these days? I do sometimes wish the on-board staff could get together and agree what the rules are regarding mobile phones/blackberrys/flight-safe mode - announcments vary between anything goes if its in flight-safe mode up to everthing is vorboten at all times.
In recent weeks I've noticed a number of on-board staff happily passing frank views to customers regarding the company and it's position - interesting stuff. All in all though I hope BMIBaby continues to flurish and maintain a sizable hub in BHX and other UK locations. It derserves to on its own merits.