PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st Night Flight
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 15:04
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!

Does anyone have any hint's tips and pointers for Night Fliying???
I don't know about the requirements in the UK, but in my part of the world it is required to have two flashlights/torches on board for night time flying. So just in case your instructor forgets to bring his, better take along two yourself ;-) You will need a torch for your outside check too, best thing is to carry it on a lanyard around your neck so you can't misplace it.

For map and/or instrument reading, a red light is better than a white one becuase it dosen't harm your night vision (there is much controversy about this point, but I still believe it). The ideal package is a bright white torch for the outside work and a dim red one for the cockpit. LED flashlights are ideal because the batteries last so much longer!

For the rest, I would leave everything to the instructor, he knows the specific combination of aerodrome and aeroplane better than any textbook. For the landings, I use to teach beginners not to flare, but out of a long, stabilised final reduce the rate of sink to something like 200 ft/min by applying a little power and just wait for the aeroplane to land by itself. With a PA28 this gives very smooth landings, even if you misjudge your height - but this technique only works with long enough runways.

Enjoy the experience!
Max