PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 15th Dec 2008, 13:39
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
CJ, very surprising to only apply a "normal" braking when you’re gonna smash a wall !?
Do the same in a car, even as a passenger, and you will push as hard as you can on your both feet … I believe that’s just an instinctive reflex.

Actually, I don't believe that's strictly true.

You might like to read the Wikipedia entry on Brake Assist:

Quote:
Research conducted in 1992 at the Mercedes-Benz driving simulator in Berlin revealed that more than 90% percent of drivers fail to brake with enough force in emergency situations. Brake Assist detects circumstances in which emergency braking is required by measuring the speed with which the brake pedal is depressed. Some systems additionally take into account the rapidity of which the gas pedal is released, pre-tensioning the brakes when a "panic release" of the gas is noted. When panic braking is detected, the Brake Assist system automatically develops maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a drivers tendency to brake without enough force.
So for an A340 braking system (not a car) how does pedal force relate to braking force? I mean there are certainly hydraulics and other systems involved aren't they?