PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 15th Dec 2008, 03:54
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would expect that the nose gear was already skidding sideways by that time, leaving a clearly visible trace, while the main gears were braking "normally" rather than skidding, so there would be far less in the way of traces
CJ, very surprising to only apply a "normal" braking when you’re gonna smash a wall !?
Do the same in a car, even as a passenger, and you will push as hard as you can on your both feet … I believe that’s just an instinctive reflex.

If the braking was just "normal" since 60 meters before the wall, how was it between 110 and 60 meters, as there is no mention of any braking traces ?

Many many questions to be asked to the BEA … Many discrepancies between the text and the graphs ...

But to me the main curiosity is here :
Originally Posted by same page 16
A first trace of rubber corresponding with one of the internal wheels of the Right Main Gear is visible starting from a hundred and twenty meters over a length of approximately ten meters. The trace of the external tires is present but less marked. These marks are directed along an axis with the magnetic course 330°. No trace of the tires of the Left Main Gear was observed.
How is it possible 3 wheels out of 12 left sideways marks with an angle of 18 degrees ???

My only explanation is Right Main Gear was mainly delested, and Left and Center Main Gears did not touch ground anymore, as a consequence of the turbulence created by the engine thrust on the wall behind and lifting the tail.
In the same time obviously the three oleos were fully extended, long enough to put the aircraft in the flight mode logic with the possible requested sequence for the braking to be authorized, just like after any regular touch down.