PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Parachutes. (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2008, 18:16
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
Dangerous mentalities
Given that we're going round in circles with this one, I'll re-iterate that my personal position once more, for clarity - the risk/reward benefit in undergoing jump training as a pre-cursor for wearing an emergency parachute in an aerobatic type simply doesn't add up - the corollary with an automotive airbag has already been made, and whilst not perfect to a degree to comparison stands. If you have any firm statistical data relating the incidence injury of emergency parachute descents from aerobatic types between those with jump training, and those without, I'd genuinely interested in seeing it. I've flown competition sequences both with and without a parachute, and have used a simple cloth helmet on occasions when the Gentex was u/s - I'm not aware that it modified the way I flew either way - but the law of averages means that if both are available, then I'll wear them - would you rather I didn't?

As for airframe parachutes - I'll pass, thanks - as you say, the statistics on those are distinctly uninspiring.