PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 90 Years of the RAF - BBC2
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2008, 14:39
SRENNAPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read this thread many times now and I am sorry, but my comments stand. Maybe I am wrong and I apologise to anybody that has taken offence.

I do believe that whatever programme was made, it was always going to be highly criticised on this web site, only because it was made by the BBC.

If it’s worth anything, I have been to my local pub for lunch today where all the locals know that I served in the RAF for a long time. Those that saw the programme (and there were quite a few) enjoyed it both as informative and a tribute to the RAF. I am sure that if they read some of the posts on this forum they would be less impressed.

You seem to forget that the programme was aimed at people who have never served in the RAF. Ninety years of history is not easy to capture in ninety minutes. Rightly or wrongly the general public’s perception of the Royal Air Force remains to be “Fighter Pilots” and Lancaster Bombers in World War Two. They also remember very well the images of JP, but I’m afraid that’s about it.

When you read some of the posts in this thread and then compare them with many other threads on this website you notice a reoccurring theme; that is one of complaint and criticism of just about anything associated with the RAF. Sorry but it is my opinion that the majority of complaints, in sometimes quite a vulgar fashion, is just not called for.