PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I learnt from that
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2008, 05:52
troppo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I learnt from that

New thread in the ongoing learning process that is aviation.
What have you learnt the most from and why? No names but as below examples and where it may have saved your skin.

1).Thorough flight planning in a light
twin to avoid severe icing in NZ. A windshield iced over and hearing ice chunks hitting the tail plane aint all its cracked up to be. Seeing the props on landing was impressive as well.
2). Being hurried into departures by ATC and
taking off on tip tanks
As well as ending up below MSA at night is Russian roulette.
3). At ppl level being on the lee side of the kaikoura ranges during a nor wester hurts your head on the ceiling of a PA28.
4). Radio failure and IMC on a vfr ppl fight
Is a life changing experience that often ends up in the crash comics.
5). How to restart an engine in flight if you run a tank dry is vital knowledge.
6). Checking the pitot tube is for a reason. Taking off from a one way strip in PNG with little or no airspeed reading and flying a
circuit by 'feel and instinct' sorts out the men from the boys. Bugs can make a clay nest over night. The kicker was the boss tried to blow them out a few mins after I tried to scare them out with the pitot heat.
7). Bush flying techniques and survival tips in PNG by the ex Chief Pilot of what was once the world's largest third level airline. You can't buy that experience or knowledge.
8). Closing the throttle on run up checks after a 100 hourly in PNG to ensure that it doesn't go very quiet on finals.
9). (Real) Aircraft operating costs by Torres.
10). New levels of sarcasm from Tinpis.
1 thru 8 all occurred in the first 1000 hours.
What have you learnt?