PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Parachutes. (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2008, 04:21
sdbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the least generous 5/14 hardly qualifies as "nearly every". With a little generousity not even half fall into this category.
Most certainly do fall into this category. A sampling of Wikipedia's listing of these events, for example, cites the following:
As one of the editors of that Wikipedia page, I note with great interest that you have applied a generous dose of interpretation to each event and worked backwards to judge the pilot.

Unless the readers of the this thread would like a rebuttal for your lengthy list, which I am happy to provide, let me respond to one or two selected examples.

1. October 2002, Texas: detached aileron Preflighting airplanes prevents needing to use panic button parachutes, and prevents ailerons from detaching in flight. Note that taken from that NTSB report, the following Cirrus statement is identified: The CAPS deployment is expected to result in the destruction of the airframe, and possible severe injury or death to the occupants.
Improper use of the parachute? The cause was the failure of the mechanic to safety wire the aileron hinge nut. The plane was preflighted. The potential problem was not observed. The problem happened in flight. What is improper? Saving oneself? Or not being perfect?

4. September 2004, California: loss of control in high-altitude climb above clouds, 2 uninjured Again, a situation that the pilot should never have been in; one flies beyond one's capabilities, one uses the panic button...one has unnecessarily gone where one shouldn't have been and used what didn't need to be used...when the airplane could simply have been flown to a landing. Again, we're not even talking about a broken airpalne here...just a pilot who elected to deploy a parachute on a perfectly good airplane. This brain surgeon-rocket scientist flew into a Level 5 thunderstorm...not really the best place to fly, shows poor judgement, and certainly a very poor place to deploy a parachute canopy.
Ouch! Beyond his capabilities? The pilot is a retired university professor with thousands of hours of flight instruction, including aerobatic instruction, has been instructing in Cirrus airplanes since 2001, and is alive! He is one of my instructors, and I have interviewed him extensively for a safety issue of the Cirrus Pilot magazine (sent to all members of the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association).

He and his wife confirm that they were flying in clear air. You claim he could have simply avoided the thunderstorms and flown to a landing. But he experienced the airplane doing something to him that placed him upside down, spiraling down into the cloud layer below, entering IMC without a horizon or reliable instruments to recover from that unusual attitude.

Yes, there were convective thunderstorms miles away. But the area where they had this incident was actively searched by other pilots sent there by ATC to try to locate the airplane. No thunderstorms in the vincinity at the time of the incident.

Seems the NTSB investigator got a bit rushed in his investigation of a non-fatal accident. And you rushed up the ladder of inference. By the way, the outcome was sufficiently successful that none of the glass ornaments nor bottles of wine or olive oil were broken -- and the airplane flew again!

9. August 2006, Indiana: ...in fact it wasn't the CG which caused the crash, but the deployment of the CAPS system, and a pilot who couldn't handle the airplane. Chalk it up once again to the same majority of the incidents...pilot error, unnecessary use, and a system that took the pilot to places he wasn't capable of going and to a place where he never should have been.
You are on a roll. CAPS caused the crash? Unnecessary?

How about a 5-turn spin before deployment causing the crash? Without deploying the parachute, the impact would have been much less survivable.

You have presented an astounding amount of interpretation and judgment about these accidents. Then you conclude that almost all of the Cirrus parachute deployments were improper.

By my reckoning, 27 people survived really bad situations because 12 pilots deployed the parachute. And we are still working on that 75% of accidents attributed to pilot actions.

Cheers
Rick