PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you're in Latin America when........
Old 14th Dec 2008, 00:53
777RamAirTurbine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rdr Ctct & Srvlnce

Hi None
This is kinda out of the thread, but here is what the P/C Glosary of the AIM has to say:
RADAR CONTACT-
a. Used by ATC to inform an aircraft that it is identified on the radar display and radar flight following will be provided until radar identification is terminated. Radar service may also be provided within the limits of necessity and capability. When a pilot is informed of "radar contact," he/she automatically discontinues reporting over compulsory reporting points.
b. The term used to inform the controller that the aircraft is identified and approval is granted for the aircraft to enter the receiving controllers airspace.

RADAR SURVEILLANCE- The radar observation of a given geographical area for the purpose of performing some radar function.

Surveillance seems to be just observation and might not include separation by the use of Radar. Also I always understood that if you are in Rdr contact you might receive vectoring services for separation, but I am not sure about that.

From a personal experience I do not trust Amazonic Ctr either, going even so far to use NAT Wake Trb. Procedures as an excuse to fly 1NM to the left of Center line all the time ( a. I just don't trust them after the GOL accident and b. I don't trust some of the operating techniques of some of the 3rd world operators down there as they might have faulty Mode C systems on board)

Hope that helps a bit...