PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Willy ATCO's get 4 weeks holiday, meanwhile CAGRO At Newcastle saves the day!
Old 13th Dec 2008, 22:40
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toa, You have to be a fool with comments like that. "Williamtown belongs to the RAAF". No it doesn't it belongs my friend to the Australian Government on behalf of the Australian Taxpayer who allow the RAAF use of it as a base. It can and may be taken away any time the Government of the day chooses. That same Government has told the RAAF civil operations are to be conducted at Willy due to the growing needs of the area. Whether you or anyone else like that idea get over it as it is a fact. The RAAF do not allow operations due to there "good grace" they have been ordered to. The same goes with Tindal which you seem to also have a problem with, and any other Military facility that the Government may decide it wants back/joint user.
Now that it is a "joint user" airport (even if still technically military) without GA (that will change in time is my guess) and has high capacity RPT on regular operations it requires ATC. I don't care who provides this civil or military but if the RAAF want to keep control to themselves as you appear to, then they have to staff it. Otherwise Dick is right on this one CASA and AsA should have got controllers in there and in my view leave them there permanently,and make it an official joint user airport.
As for your trite about working over Christmas well I'm sorry too but it is no different to any other essential service on civvie street.
Now before I'm bombarded with replies about how I'm being protected etc please read post#76 I think my family has given enough for awhile thanks certainly enough for me to voice my opinion.