PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa starts work on Starliner restoration
Old 13th Dec 2008, 22:30
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done Lufthansa in recognising the importance of the heritage of Commercial Aviation. The Aussies too have recognised this fact. In the majority of cases, the Brits aren't quite the same. It appears that to be preserved in the UK in most cases an aircaft has to have had the ability to shoot or drop bombs.
My father was a Flight Engineer on the Constellation with TCA. I still have some of his manuals and pitcures of the aircraft in which he flew. His log book shows he had 1870 hours on type out of his total of 20 337 hours. Indeed, one of the L1049 in which he flew is being preserved in TCA colours as we speak. As a young lad, I was fortunate to have had many trips on the
L1049 and remember it with great affection. Indeed, it was experiences such as those with the Constellation that prompted me to work in the Commercial Airline environment. IMHO the Constellation is one of the most graceful looking aircraft ever built.
Please keep this thread alive as it will be great to see the progress on this excellent project.

Temps.