PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If it flies, floats or... what if it rolls?
Old 13th Dec 2008, 21:38
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25 year old bentley can be had around £5 to10 thousand

14 mpg about normal.....so fuel is similar.

road tax £200 pa, insurance about £250, fully comp. wedding hire, 4 named drivers, 3,000 miles/year (you fly 30 hours @100mph average? )
increase the mileage to 5,000 for about £50.

annual MOT test £50....maintenance....6,000 service around£400
medium service about £600 ....major about 900-1200.

tyres £200 a corner...front axle-set brake pads (2 calipers each wheel)
£40...oil/filter just over 2 gallons-filter under £10.

hangarage.....you need a bigger garage than the average Wimpey-built breeding-box provides....or leave it out for the neighbour's envy and their kids' vandalism 9no tie-downs needed

Nothing clever about the servicing, the full workshop CD and the full parts CD are on the net for less than £15 the pair.

I prefer the "silver lady" version myself...after 3 years mine needed a new exhaust-full stainless system from a writeoff =£300 +2 days work remove/refit (6 silencers,twin system) now needs paint and the rear window leaks, ruining the boot-trim.-broke a headlamp, £150 secondhand.

If I spent £1,000 i'd have a very tidy,elegant Rolls, FAR more prestigious than any Lexus or Range-Rover.

given the recession, if I dumped it on the market now, I'd expect to lose £2,000 depreciation over my ownership....with spares/repairs, make that £3k.

Only Permit-aircraft come at that sort of cost....slower, colder and you can't park in town, so you'd STILL need wheels!

With a Certificate A/C you don't have the option on DIY maintenance,or "alternative" sources of components.

(if you went to a Rolls or Bentley agents, it'd probably cost you £100 per breath you draw whilst it's in their workshop -so, yes, like owning a plane, really