PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gays in the RAF
Thread: Gays in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 21:02
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But then, sometimes it's quite funny to let people like that spew-out their hatred. It's not like it matters. I feel sorry for people who might sometimes feel either intimidated or devalued somehow by nasty remarks or cheap jokes, but sooner or later us poofs inevitably realise that hatred is generated by fear, or as a means of hiding personal issues. It's far better to just let the abuse wash off one's shoulders and laugh loud and long - I find that it annoys these people even more which is kinda gratifying.

It's traditionally been very easy for bigots to hide behind the kind of attitudes and humour that service life encourages but those days are slowly disappearing. People have scoffed at the way in which the forces have made efforts to stamp-out homophobia but believe me, it doesn't seem like such a trivial matter, nor a waste of taxpayer's money, if you happen to sit on the gay side of the fence. They've done a great deal to drag the forces into adopting the fair-minded attitudes that our wider society have now adopted and that's got to be a good thing. The people that think otherwise are entitled to maintain their view but, ultimately, it doesn't matter what they might think. Thankfully, we've moved on and if they choose to remain in the dark ages, then so be it.