PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHAT, WHERE and HOW
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 19:01
virgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard of a similar device.........a long stick but instead of the bulldog clip, it was fitted with a 3 inch length of circular rod about half-inch in diameter at 90 degrees to the long stick. Function ?

The Isopropyl-Nitrate starter motor of the Bristol Belvedere engine had a tendency to explode from time-to-time. This was rather disconcerting for the pilot who sat above the remotely located starter motor. A local modification was submitted consisting of a sheet of armour plating being fitted between the pilot's seat and the starter motor but this was rejected as further reducing the limited payload the aircraft could carry - particularly in Aden.

The Technical Department of the Ministry Of Supply (as it then was) introduced a much lighter and safer "Engine Starting Procedure".
The pilot would complete all his cockpit pre-starting checks and then get out of his seat and stand in the gang-way in the centre of the aircraft. He would then use his stick to press the starter button which was outboard of his seat.
If the start was successful he would resume his seated position ........if the starter exploded he would be in a far less vulnerable position - or at least some very important bits of his anatomy would be less liable to be damaged.

There was some discussion on how a starter-assisted airborne start would be made but since the Belvedere hardly ever flew high enough to make it an option, it was never resolved.

I must emphasise this is the story as related to me by a colleague who was there at the time - I was on the other side of the airfield flying AEROPLANES !

Can anyone confirm the facts ?