PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter reported down in the GOM
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 12:28
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
I would suggest our FAA learn some lessons from the CAA however I would be terrified they would learn the wrong ones.

Our FAA does need to find the cojones to force safety changes that would effectively (cost, resuts, and ease of implementation) improve the safety environment in the GOM.

That being said....it would take a major change to the FAA in order for that to happen. The FAA is airplane-centric and helicopters and helicopter folks are not given the emphasis they should within the FAA itself. The path to advancement within the FAA falls to the airplane side of the house and not to the helicopter side.

FAR's are written around airplanes, airplane operations, and often ignore the differences between airplanes and helicopter operations.

Insurance companies are the most effective way of achieving change in my view. If your insurance rates sky rocket in the absence of some of the more commonsense improvements then it becomes a matter of cost and as we know...minimum cost is the cornerstone of modern business.

Large corporations being self insured prevents that from being effective in all cases as well.