PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Air Show - Barton
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 11:33
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

Looking at this thread brought back some pleasant memories and a check on my airshows data base.

I flew in the Barnstormers Air Shows at Barton on the 16 August 1970, the 15 August 1971 and the 20 August 1972. A total of 13 display slots in Tiger Moths G-AHRC and G-APVT plus Nipper G-AVKJ which included aerobatics, crazy flying, balloon bursting, streamer cutting, flour bombing, limbo, crackshot and stand on wing items. I also flew as No 2 in the Rothmans team display in the 1971 show flying Stampe SV4C G-AYGR.

One of the shows was held on a day of very strong winds and while flying the Tiger I managed to do a vertical circuit with no turns by taking off and climbing to 500 feet. Then decelerating until I was drifted back to a position where I could lower the nose for the approach and landing. Our ground crew then grabbed the aircraft and we used the shelter of the fire truck to get back to our parking slot. The crowd were highly appreciative of our efforts.

My only flying involvement in the Manchester Air Shows organised by the resident aero club was in 1979 on 6 June in Lindsey Walton's Nord 1002 Pingouin G-ATBG masquerading, as usual, as a Bf108.

It was sad to see this annual event disappear from the airshow calender. A victim of ever increasing costs and regulatory burdens. Those involved on the organising team did a grand job for so many years.

Cheers,

Reaper 69