PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter reported down in the GOM
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 23:37
SASless

Received 553 Likes on 224 Posts
Zalt,

You ever try to strike a blow for improved safety in the GOM?

Even with union supportfor the pilots at the organized companies....sticking one's neck out can be fraught with peril.

I agree with you that one can switch to cords or levi's vice flares but....the new breeches come with a price tag.

In the past....I got a very terse message after I made a post where I wondered what it would feel like to be a manager that knew he would lose one to three pilots per year....every year....and how you can stand to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning unless you knew you had done absolutely everything possible to prevent those accidents from happening.

I certainly meant no insult to any one particular person.....but I certainly trod on some very tender corns. The comment was meant to be philosophical and not personal.

There are operators that do not have fatal accidents or do so very rarely where some seem to have them on a frequent basis. All we have to do is look at the EMS industry for that.

Developing a safety environment dedicated to eliminating fatal accidents that is embraced by all those involved is a very complex and apparently impossible task as evidenced by the Gulf of Mexico Offshore Industry.