PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Corner
Thread: Enstrom Corner
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2002, 17:04
Fr O'Blivien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some time on the basic F28 and 28C.

The basic 28 is BASIC, believe me. Instrumentation often consists of ASI, Altimeter, DG, tacho and Cessna style tiny basic engine instruments all in a line in a car type dash. It may have VSI ahd AI but often not. As TOT said it is a delightful thing to fly if well tracked which is a job for a magician, but if you have a nearby friendly Enstrom magician that is fine. Engineers generaally hate Enstroms because of atrocious accessibility of the bits they need to get to regularly, and the total impossibility of reaching those less often touched. However, it's a nice toy, power restricted for hot, or high, or heavy ops, but in the UK a 12 stone me, a 20stone wife and her 10 stone husband achieved a 30 minute sightseeing trip perfectly OK. It is slowish, 100mph seems familiar, but it does everything a real helo is supposed to do with no vices that I ever heard of. Baggage space is good.

The 28C has lots more power, a bit faster, better instrument panel that is likely to be laid out in a T of sorts, more range, payload and a simply wonderful exhaust bark from the stack just behind the pilots door.

Both are stable, very very maneuverable (see Denis Kenyon's legendary displays...awesome) and posess the best possible qualities in autorotation, huge inertia, though not of B47 standards.

I believe that no Enstrom has ever had a critical in flight failure, so the dynamics are considered bullet proof.

I loved my time on the F28 and 28C, though I certainly preferred the C for "Work". Maintenance though may be another matter. These machines are getting rather old now, and engineers never liked them when new, simply for the ease of access problems. Looking in my logbook though I am impressed by the number of tracking details I did. That is clearly not an Enstrm strong point.

Overall, a good private owners machine that will utilise your skills in limited power situations (particularly the F28) and be great fun to fly. It carries 3 - midway between the Robinson products, but treat it as a 2+1 machine. It will be cheap to buy, but check on maintenance costs carefully. Talk to other owners if you can, and if you buy one, buy a good one with a personal recommendation behind it if possible.

Good flying!