PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter reported down in the GOM
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 15:37
Lt.Fubar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Shell Management

I'm well aware of the cold and trauma shock in this kind of situation, as well as any injuries cuts this time severely (internal bleeding gives 2% chances of making through 1 hour in any conditions). I know the subject well enough to know those conditions were bad for flying without immersion suits. But the "up to one hour" is not my personal estimate. I actually ask a friend who is a trained professional in maritime rescue operations, gave him all the data we know about weather at that time, clothing according to the weather, but no dry suit, and asked him for his best shot, for best case scenario, average male - he gave me 30 minutes, to 1 hour... 2 hours absolute max if someone would be exceptionally tough.

I'm not even trying to go here arguing about the helicopter type, its equipment for such flight, and crew survival gear - those issues are obvious to us. It's just interesting procedure of this operator to call for rescue service after the time for finding people alive - runs out.