PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 12th Dec 2008, 07:52
Swedish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they'll roster a qualified pilot to assist engine runs in future?
What a good idea. Next time I need an engine run, I can send the pilots off to do it and they can come back and tell me what needs changing!
I have run engines for 35 years. Small engines are easy. Run a Jt8D in a B732 and its like being in a simulator. No noise or vibration.
But go out and run a B777 Trent up to take off on the brakes. Its mostly guess work with the whole aircraft leaping around. You have to take a print out of the readings because there is no way you can read the figures. Luckily here we can use the runway for engine runs. Feels much safer looking at 8000ft of tarmac. We used to have a run bay where you were 50ft from a wall. I hated it in there, felt very unsafe.

Also running engines for maint, they are usually faulty. There is a reason for running them and it is not like a normal take off, you are on edge looking for a defect. And with todays reliable engines, we don't do it very often.