PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Removing co-pilot's seat for loading?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 06:33
PlankBlender

Question Removing co-pilot's seat for loading?

I have a question for all you experienced aircraft loaders

The W&B of my 1979 Piper Archer is such that the more I load in the front, the closer I can get to MTOW.

My question is: Can I take out the co-pilot's seat on a private flight with only myself on the aeroplane? The flight manual only says "The rear seats can be removed to carry bulky items." It doesn't say anything about the right hand front row seat.

The plan is to put a heavy suitcase where the co-pilot seat normally is (and chuck said seat in the baggage compartment where I cannot load much weight in a heavily loaded situation, but there is plenty of space), of course properly securing the suitcase so it cannot move and slide in the way of rudder pedals or flap handle or such like. Any luggage carried in the front would not be higher than the actual seat, so it would not obstruct the exit.

IMHO this would be far superior to carrying a suitcase on said co-pilot's seat, as that could potentially obstruct my own exit path in case I need to get out in a hurry, even if I could somehow make sure such a case on the seat doesn't interfere with full and free movement of the control column.

Is there any kind of general rule that you cannot take out a control seat, or something like that?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!