PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part M - Owners and Subpart G/F companies watch out
Old 11th Dec 2008, 21:14
EGBKFLYER
Gizajob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part M - Owners and Subpart G/F companies watch out

Dear All

I was getting into the swing of Part M and even thinking it's not so bad - then this...

Subpart G and F organisations are approved by the CAA and have approval certificates which list the scope of the approval. In this case, it's an A2 organisation, which means the scope of approval lists which types we can work on.

Due to my crystal ball being a bit cloudy, I didn't foresee the need to have a particular French type on that list and now there's one that the owners want us to look after. No problem say I - will just have our approval certificate amended to include that type.

No problem say the CAA - that'll be £1380!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently every time you want another type/ group etc adding to the approval, that's the fee. No negotiation. If you're lucky, you can add 2 or three types at the same time for that fee but if it's just one you want, it's the same charge.

The CAA need do no more than ascertain you have the necessary resources to work on that type. In this case, it's another Lycoming-engine GA non-complex single, so how hard will that be?

So here we are - either pay up, make the owners pay up or turn the business away - just fantastic in this climate.

Take this as a warning - if you're an aircraft owner, make sure your maintenance company has your type on their approval certificate. If you're an organisation, put every type you think you might ever need on the application form, or face limiting the business you can do in the future.

Thanks a bunch EASA.

PS I've been back and forth with our surveyor (who has tried his best) and the CAA Approvals Dept. So far there is no option but to pay or turn the business away ultimately.