PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 11th Dec 2008, 20:48
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Orca,

"Typhoon - two wars, no show, what's the story?"

You need five fighter squadrons for UK AD, QRA and Falklands.

We now have two F3 Squadrons and two Squadrons of Typhoons.

There's just no 'slop' for long term dets and deployments yet, even if you believe that the Austere A-G capability is yet as mature as the July OED might make is assume.

Now if it had been me as CAS, I'd have sent a four-ship to Kandahar for a Rafale-style flag-waving PR exercise, to get that 'tick in the box' - operationally justifiable or otherwise.

With aircraft being diverted to Saudi, and with the production rate slowed to avoid costly gaps at the end of Tranche 1 (and again for the end of Tranche 2) it will be a very long time before there is a third Typhoon squadron, let alone the fourth and fifth, and the sixth and seventh, that would allow the Typhoon force to do what it was bought for - which was to replace five squadrons of F.Mk 3s AND three squadrons of Jags.

Not a Boffin,

Canning CVF would leverage a big enough saving to fund proper SH, but I'd agree that the big savings come from cancelling JSF. I'm not suggesting that we bin one, but not the other.