PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 11th Dec 2008, 19:55
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetically speaking - genuine question...

Does anyone know the cost per hour (or similar meaningful metric) over dear old 'ghanners' of a Super Hornet flying from 'somewhere off the coast' as compared to a GR4 flying from KAF? (Future proofed question - well hopefully anyway!)

What if we factor in the logistics train required to keep KAF going, the air bridge, the 14000 people at KAF that seem to 'add very little'? the FP required etc etc?

Whilst I am acutely aware that opinion is everything and facts are nothing - and that views on CVS/N/F are entrenched and non-negotiable I am genuinely interested. How much does a FARP/TFOL/ air base cost compared to a CV..various? Anyone know?

And just in case this benign question wasn't inflammatory enough, how many times has a CVN stopped flying due to hostile action? How many times has KAF or the COB ceased Ops due to IDF?

Here's where I am. CVS - absolute waste of rations. CVN/F great bits of kit if used properly and adequately funded. Typhoon - two wars, no show, what's the story?

regards, orca.