PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS365
Thread: AS365
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2008, 15:27
Burr Styers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dauphin variants

Spent many happy years zipping round in Ns and N2s on the North Sea, N2 certainly more capable than the N, think of them as analogue(N)and digital (N2) versions.

No problems with underslung loads, and can be fitted with a good range of survival aids for over water operations, and as pointed out there is a neat fit for a pair of life rafts in the cabin roof.

Delight to fly, but can be a bit fragile in places, doors cabin and boot tend to be a bit on the flimsy side. Boot size is quite good without being capacious.

The pilot seats were designed around the standard 4ft three hunchback gnome - with a withered limb, worth investing in good quality seats there.

I cant vouch for its performance in more pleasant climes, but agree with the the previous poster, N probably a bit sporty, N2 will probably do it most days.

Single engine performance whilst not stellar, is adequate and will get you home. Autopilot out is not too much of a handful - for the ex mil guys, its like a gazelle on steroids.

IFR is a good machine (flew it SPIFR), bit sensitive in pitch, but keep on top of that and its OK.

Dauphin used widely around the world which is always a good sign - variety of engine fits, used arriels, never had one fail on me.

Tough little aircraft, worked hard offshore for years, and stayed out in all weathers.

Flying a desk these days, and dauphin was the last type I flew. No bad days with it, and dont recall any real vices with the aircraft.

Bit of a subjective answer, but HIH

BT