PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Display Flying
Thread: Display Flying
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2002, 09:26
The Mad Russian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the UK display pilots must hold a display authorisation issued by the CAA. This allows you to fly public displays down to your limit heights, exemptions are issues by the CAA with regards to low flying rules (Rule 5 and 18 etc) which are only in force during the time of the display. Worth noting that the low level (below 500 feet) beat ups you see at airfields occasionally are illegal, unless that pilot holds a DA and there is an exemption in force at that time… beware!

This authorisation must be revalidated by test annually (oral and sequence demonstration). Each display authorised pilot will be restricted to various categories for example flypast, aerobatic or both and formation (this is further categorised) etc. These are further broken down in terms of types of aerobatics (i.e. standard level thru unlimited) and minimum display heights for flypasts and aerobatics. As well as the types of aircraft he/she can display. These limits are lowered progressively at revalidation as a display pilot gains experience, season on season. If you wished you could be assessed and obtain a flypast DA for you and your C150…. Although I’m not sure how many bookings you’ll get!!

As far as flying warbirds, these display pilots are normally highly experienced. Either they have a well proven competition or display (normally ‘unlimited’) background or are ex-military and as such have extensive formation experience…. As with everything there are normally a few exceptions! Many of these pilots, through natural career progression are also involved in some form of professional flying (like airlines etc). For a display pilot to earn a living from display flying it’s my understanding that he must hold a CPL or higher and the aircraft must be on a public (airwork?) C of A.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Mad Russian; 7th Apr 2002 at 09:28.