PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fright test....
Thread: Fright test....
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2008, 11:05
Jerr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No use of VNCs in flight tests

Hi

Just did my CPL flight test successfully 6 weeks ago. My school told me to make use of all resources for the flight including the CPL test.

However during the training my instructor would turn off the GPS, the VOR and ADF - am rated on those for Night VFR, so that I would rely on my map reading and correlating ground features to the map.

During the training I had to draw up my flight plan, out of Moorabbin, on the VTC, VNC, WAC, and ERC low.

For several flights, the instructor would look at these maps, then keep the VTC and VNC in him folder for the flight. The reason... well you will next be flying up North entirely off the WAC, I want you to be able to use just the WAC.

I wonder if this is where the no use of VNC comes from, I cannot imagine CASA doing such a thing! A VNC is an excellent way to avoid busting CTA, which my testing officer set me up to do with one of the diversions in the CPL test.

Interestingly during the CPL test, I turned on all the aids, including the GPS and testing officer turned off the GPS when he asked me time and distance to one off my landing airstrips. He wanted me to calculate this from the map.

FWIW

Jerr