PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA greenlights satellite-based air traffic control system
Old 10th Dec 2008, 02:50
GetTheFlick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my reading of the processes it appeared that it would be very hands on regarding 'automatic' speed adjustments etc which I'd have thought would have reduced the benefits significantly; the landing gap may be 'perfect' but to achieve it cost all the benefits or more?
I see where you could say that Blocka. It's get spaced at high altitude instead of spaced at low altitude. The problem you run into is in spacing at high altitude (for a CDA), there's always some guy taking off at an in-close airport that will mess up the sequence.

It's easier for me to go with what I know (my old airspace) but not easier for you. We used to have everybody just about all lined up for CLT and then the guy out of TRI would launch. Two minutes later the guy off AVL would launch. They're both less than 150 miles from CLT. The high-altitude merge plan went right out the window. And that was just one out of four arrivals -- not even the busiest side.

It's all a fantasy. Again, it might work on the mid for UPS. But in the real world ? I don't think so. There are just too many variables.

Don Brown