PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crazy to think of Scotland based work?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2008, 01:54
dnheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BaronG;

Thanks for the very detailed response. I’m not thinking of just arriving there and looking for work, I would pursue this through one of the big international firms. As such, I’m of the understanding the Visa would be taken care of and quite possibly the medicals and checkrides done in-house by staff, maybe that is wrong information. Thanks goodness I made this post to get a more realistic view.

I do see Staticdroop says I can fly without the additional exams, ratings. For the US taxpayer, last time my wife worked abroad, the federal gov’t exempts a certain amount of pay from tax, but our state, New Jersey, makes you report your full worldwide income and taxes it.

I do have a US helicopter ATP and Class 1 medical, and would look at the whole thing as, yes, a life adventure in something quite different from my usual existence.

For commuting, I wouldn’t come back to the US that often, maybe quarterly or so, with the idea to have a local apartment and travel on days off.

My current circumstances are: unemployed in three weeks but getting some severance pay. Here, hiring seems to have leveled off in the Gulf of Mexico.

What kind of life would one lead on £2800? A decent, clean one bedroom place, enough to eat, a used car? or would it be reasonably more or a lot less comfortable?