PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BK crash today
Thread: BK crash today
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2008, 00:06
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunfish
As has been said before, they are light and don't penetrate much. I was warned that you can generate very high rates of decent with full flap and not enough power, and thus arrive ten feet high with no speed and no ideas. I haven't done that yet. On the other hand, if you have practised your short field landings, it is possible to stop before you reach the piano keys on 17L at YMMB.
Hey, you can do that in the alpha too

In all honesty, the level bit isn't such an issue - although closer to the ground, they're also smaller (shorter/narrower), which yields not dissimilar available pitch and roll attitudes. But we do seem to be identifying a common theme.. "oops, too slow, crunch".

Realistically, they just require a bit more attention, and a switched on pilot - that might just take more time!

Another factor is the throttle systems: The sportstar has this vernier screw fine adjust, push-the-button-on-the-end-and-slide coarse. The result - screwing takes forever, and pushing the button yields a very free running and coarse adjustment. You either get nothing, or a bootfull - that makes controling the speed doubly difficult. The CT has a lever in the console back by your trouser pocket - better, but still a little clumsy.

Originally Posted by sunfish
My view is that it makes you a better pilot for it, and when you return to a Cessna or Piper, you will find that you are automatically reacting to a set of subtle queues of aircraft behaviour that you didn't even notice before, well at least I didn't notice anyway.
Couldn't agree more!