PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking Data re Mandatory Retirement Ages
Old 9th Dec 2008, 20:05
Raymond767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Data re Mandatory Retirement Ages

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Skies:

I am a B777 Captain with Air Canada, and coincidentally legal counsel to over 50 Air Canada pilots and former pilots whose cases of termination of employment at age 60, pursuant to the provisions of the applicable collective agreement provision forcing mandatory retirement, have been referred to the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal for adjudication.

In Canada, under the provisions of the Canadian Human Rights Act, mandatory retirement is currently exempted from the general prohibition against discrimination on the basis of age found within that statute, provided that the termination of employment, in the words of the statute occurs at "the normal age of retirement for individuals doing similar work."

As everyone knows, "normal age of retirement" these days is a moving target, so far as airline pilots throughout the world are concerned. My hope is to describe the location of that target at the present time.

I therefore am humbly seeking your assistance in providing me with factual information to assist in determining the current mandatory retirement ages for pilots at various carriers throughout the world, other than in Canada and the United States, be they pilot employees or contract airline pilots. Is there a different age for Captains or pilots-in-command versus First Officers and/or augment pilots at the airline?

It would also be extremely beneficial if I might obtain a ballpark figure of the number of pilots employed and thus subjected to the mandatory retirement age at each of the carriers.

Any assistance that you might be able to provide me would be very greatly appreciated.

Airline /
Approx. No. of Pilots /
Current Mandatory Retirement Age, if any

Does any carrier based in the European Union still adhere to Age 60?

Last edited by Raymond767; 10th Dec 2008 at 00:53.