PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Head of Royal Navy threatens resignation over push to scrap Harriers
Old 9th Dec 2008, 11:17
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
More importantly, Rafale is probably better in ground attack role,
Go on, flesh out that comment a little bit with some factual meat.
Just what I have read elsewhere in press etc - admittedly the advantage is probably not clearcut and likely to depend on the mission profile etc. But Rafale is already used in two-seat configuration by Armée de l'Air in GA role, which they have found superior. Not sure that Typhoon is going to have that option.

My point remains that Rafale has so far proven a more versatile aircraft than Typhoon, and probably stronger in the roles that are likely to be actively tested over the next twenty years - ie land or carrier-based GA. It is still strong enough in AD to be a worthy deterrent.

We seem to have spend a huge amount on a very capable AD aircraft which will almost certainly never actually be tested in that role, and which is possibly less capable in GA role (which is certain to be tested), and which has no carrier capability at all.

I'd put money on the RN ending up with a single carrier, identical to the proposed French carrier, both carrying Rafale.

Last edited by CirrusF; 9th Dec 2008 at 11:29.